Thursday 7 August 2014

2014 Uni Project

In the Beginning

At first I was really lost as to what story I want for this project. I wanted an action scene, some sort of twist ending (a sense of betrayal), and a strong female character.

The concept of the story was to include the character in a difficult situation, and develop that character's personality to be strong, badass and independent. Someone who is able to overcome the obstacles. my initial idea was to have some sort of higher power; like a government, an organisation or some kind of other being against my protagonist. This idea was later scrapped because this higher power seemed too obscured, and somewhat difficult to convey to an audience.

There were a number of themes I wanted to explore in the animation:

  • a girl can be her own hero
  • compassion could lead to your downfall
  • do not judge a book by its cover
  • use violence against violence
  • every man for himself
  • ones who deceive will lead to an ill fate

A few of these themes are based on my personal experience. I feel for the deception one quite strongly. So this is one theme I want to incorporate into the animation.

While being rather lost with the story, I came across Scott Westerfeld's steampunk novel series: "Leviathan". I was immediately inspired by the action, history and fantasy aspects of the books, and I also made up a back story for my protagonist. This then leads to the current story I have in mind which I will post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment