Friday 15 August 2014

Trial and Error

When I was animating the shot of Farahilde opening the door, I deviated from the animatic a bit. Instead of having just the door slide open, I decided to animate her pulling the door open.

But then as I thought about this action carefully, I decided that a person who is locked up for a while will not know how much strength to exert while opening the cell door. In the above animation, it seems as if she knew she had to use quite a lot of strength to open the cell. While I do like the action and the background in the shot above, it does not make much sense. It also does not connect well with the next shot where Farahilde pokes her head out to look out for guards. The animation ends at an odd place and for continuity's sake I would have to add more frames to it.


So in the end I still abide to the animatic. Where the door simply slides open and it is assumed that Farahilde opened the door. It is lazy I admit, but it still connects to the next shot better makes more logical sense.




Again when I was animating the shot where Farahilde pokes her head out of the cell to examine the hallway, and this was the initial animation.


They're only rough sketches, but after seeing how it plays out, I decided that a person who is trying to be stealthy will not poke their head out so much and then turn to see the other side of the hallway. The black lines at frame one are supposed to indicate where the cell door is. I acted out this scene myself, pretending to be the character. And this is what I did, instead of looking both ways at once, I poked my head just a bit in order to see one side of the way, quickly pull back; then I poked my head out again to see the other side. I felt like this made more sense in the action.

Final result:

No comments:

Post a Comment