Monday 4 April 2016

Week 06 04/04/16 Monday

Continuing with my reading on "Ten-Cent Plague", I have discovered that comics had been a target of censure throughout the years. In its earliest form as the Sunday supplements, snobby elitists and critics have despised it as "a national degradation", up to the mid 1940s as comic books flourished, Catholic religious heads regarded comics as "the cause of juvenile delinquency". From my stand point, the sophisticated class of people from the end of the nineteenth century had misguided views on the Sunday supplements, as they were intended to be crude, illiterate and nonsensical, for their target readers were the under-privileged proletariat, who were only able to comprehend the picture stories depicted in the comic strips of newspapers. As for the dogged Catholic leaders who blamed comics as the main reason for teenage misbehaviour after the Second World War, they failed to see that that was the tragic effect the war had on the youth, and their misconduct was a product of fatherless homes and absent mothers, working for a living. There was no valid evidence that pointed to comics as a cause or motivation for juvenile delinquency; the Catholic Church convicted comics to such crimes, as they feared they were losing their followers to it, and thus they launched an attack on comics in an attempt to rally the parents, to assist them in defending the children from comics' so-called deteriorating effect.

I am up to the fifth chapter now, delineating the events concerning comics during the late 1940s. It was a time when the parents were collectively beginning to believe the articles reprimanding comics and its violent content, and were starting to respond to them. At this point it would get more interesting, as I am intrigued by how comics were almost killed during this period, and furthermore, how comics raised back to popularity again. I can only read on.

I was also planning my first paragraph to my essay. I believe that it would be effective to discuss all the hardships comics had endured and survived throughout the years. Though it certainly is not the only medium that suffered from substantial attack, it definitely is an interesting story to tell. I think that depicting those events would raise awareness in the reader, that they should be grateful for the existence of comics, and thankful that men and women had dedicated sweat and tears into keeping comics alive. Well, I am at least.    



I have revived my "Seven Deadly Sin" concept and drew a new series. Each sin is depicted by a different animal skull. This one is wrath as a roaring lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment