Monday 11 April 2016

Week 07 11/04/16 Monday

Back at the computer, I was typing the splurge version of my essay. I have been reading "The Aesthetics of Comics" by David Carrier, a philosophical view on comics on the train. Carrier presents the deep philosophical implications that comics represent, from its hybrid mix of prose and illustration alluding to the "mixed" sociological and sexual orientation, and the unity between body and soul. I was never into philosophical discussions, I have always thought of them a way of seeing simplistic issues as something beyond what they truly portray, and delving too deep into rather basic concepts. But Carrier presents a different view point on comics, and raises its importance in art history. He also makes connection between comics and political and sociological issues. I may use this book as a means to deepen the discussion in my essay.

I reiterated my essay today, editing and attempting to make improvements, but I fear that I would go over the word limit. There was actually a lot I wanted to communicate in this writing, but I had to constantly remind myself that I had to weigh the different materials and critique them, not just use them once and move on to the next. The review requires me to make critical judgments, and also tests my ability to synthesize and integrate the information. I must also ask deep questions adequately. I tend to get caught up in structuring my paragraphs, unable to decide which ideas and concepts should be prioritized. When I was writing this second edit of the essay, my thoughts were quite muddled in my mind. It was true that I had a lot to discuss concerning comics, but I had to focus on what is essential. I still have not evaluated McCloud's book yet.

For now, my writing reads:

It may be appropriate to examine first what constructs the comic, and the working mechanisms behind the craft. Comics, as Will Eisner suggests, communicates a language.[1] The makeup of this language consists of both image and text, confined within panels and speech bubbles, and altogether conveys meaning. Eisner believes that the language of comics is the cross-breeding of prose and illustration, and to interpret it requires the sophistication of its reader. Before one can read words, one must learn the language, vocabulary, and grammar; such as before one can read comics, one must understand the disciplines of comics. We rarely refer to reading comics as “looking” at comics. This is because reading is an active process, and the reader is in a constant state of interpreting the given material. Reading informs us, and we are able to extract information from words, and this process is similar to reading comics. Scholar Thomas Wolf explains that: “The reading of words is one manifestation of this activity; but there are many others --- reading of pictures, maps, circuit diagrams, musical notes…” [2] This reconsideration of the term supports the notion of comics as a form of reading which encompasses the deciphering of both text and imagery, an idea posed by Eisner. In his book “Comics and Sequential Art”, Eisner demonstrates the intricacies of the comic, through his own experiences as a comic artist and teacher. There are many great examples from Eisner’s own works that portray comics as an effective way of communication. For instance, when discussing the panel outline and its various different styles and purposes, Eisner presents a page from “The Spirit”, which utilizes a frame in the form of cracked grounds and walls to establish a subterranean setting.[3] “Comics and Sequential Art” is a comprehensive investigation into each aspect of the comic, examining their roles in creating an effective way of narrative. Eisner also has constant reminders that the interpretation of comics heavily relies on the mutual experiences of both reader and creator. In an analogical sense, comics unifies art and literature, as well as the imaginations of its reader and maker. Through Eisner’s prose it is easy to understand the craft of comics, yet there seems to be something lacking in his definition of comics, and how it exactly captivates its readers.  



[1] Eisner, Comics and Sequential Art, 1.
[2] Thomas Wolf, "Reading Reconsidered", Harvard Educational Review 47, no. 3 (1977): 411-429.
[3] Eisner, Comics and Sequential Art, 52.





I tried drawing a caricature of an old man I saw on the train. Colour combination and palettes have always been a weakness of mine, I hope to improve this somehow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment