Thursday 17 March 2016

Week 03 16/03/16 Wednesday

On Wednesday I did some research on my own and then I had a class on literature review. It was basically an explanation on our assignment. More research, more evaluation and judgments, and more justification of what and why we are doing this research practice. It was so that we could demonstrate the ability to critically analyse information and make judgments on it, in the context of our individual projects. It sounded simple, but when I laid out all the things that required researching, it seemed like an immense amount of work.

Research question: How does integrating animated and and interactive elements to a comic create an engaging and educative reading experience for children?
Research question (2) (revised as of 16/03/16): How can children learn to accept fear through reading a comic integrated with animation and interactivity?

Key Ideas/Areas to Address in the literature/contextual review:

-Comics
 -Comics as discussed and explained by Scott McCloud (comic artist and theorist)
  -Comics theory, principle, methods and techniques explained by Will Eisner

-Interactivity
 -Game theory (unexplored)
  -Game narrative as explained by Henry Jenkins
   -Examples of multi-ended games such as "The Walking Dead" and "The Wolf Among Us"; both by Telltale Games, and both based on comic books

-Children's Engagement and Education Through Storytelling 
 -Narrotology
  -Origins fairy tales and fables; cautionary tales to remind a certain moral
   -Passing on/transaction of knowledge through oral storytelling

-Fear and the Uncanny
 -(Linking back to fairy tales) Using fear to raise an awareness
  -The Uncanny Valley and what causes it; the feeling of creepiness
   -Why are children (or even all of us) frightened by such yet so captivated by it
    -Psychological aspects

Mot of these subject areas remain unknown to me, and I need to begin exploring them.





I drew Lu in kimonos and Chinese traditional dresses. I was drawing her A LOT a few weeks before and then I thought I should draw something else other than her. I'm kind of obsessed with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment