Tuesday 22 March 2016

Week 04 21/03/16 Monday

On Monday I have started to write my introduction for the contextual review. I was also researching relevant materials while I was doing so. But I couldn't seem to find any substantial reference to support my view on children's fascination with the macabre or horror. I did find a very interesting video by Vsauce on Youtube, which explained in some extent, why we feel "creeped out". It was a concept that I have not really thought about, but the video had brought it to my attention; basically, our brains cannot cope with ambiguity or vagueness very well, therefore we tend to imagine things when there are certain unknowns. Also, when something, usually a toy or character, closely resembles its real life counterpart, yet not real enough to completely fool our eyes, the feeling of creepiness occurs. Learning this knowledge was eye-opening for me. I remembered I learnt about the Uncanny Valley briefly in my first year of university, but now that the idea is directly related to my practice, I have had it highlighted in my notes.

I still required some reference even in the introduction. I have also updated my research questions and abstract; things that I have not touched since two weeks ago.

Here is the introduction to my essay. I struggled to create connections between children's comics and the horror genre. I could not find a spot to slip the horror/creepy concept through in this introduction. I may have to include it earlier on. I would have to go back for reiterations later. Additionally, I felt like my use of language sounded too colloquial, and there was not enough use of more intelligent words or phrases. However, I did manage to communicate my argument rather clearly. I made some notes at the bottom for myself to consider, hopefully I could resolute these issues soon.

Essay Introduction (21/03/16):
Comics. Hearing this term many may consider its ubiquitous presence in the media these days. From its humble beginnings as disposable newspaper strips to prized collective items to the now blockbuster film adaptations on the silver screen, comics stand as a prominent form of entertainment. As the comic films become increasingly widespread, they have also drawn people back to the original source material. And with that, fervent comic readers begin emerging, and discovering an immensely comprehensive world of comics. The following of comics is undeniably growing, both in numbers and diversity. This leads to the idea of why comics are so effective in engaging its readers. Scott McCloud puts it this way, as reading comics require “closure” --- the act of viewing parts but perceiving the whole; it forces the reader to participate, to connect the broken sequences of images into a coherent story (footnote here). Closure builds upon the reader’s learned knowledge, and by doing so, involves them in the comic reading experience. And this is the heart of comics. But has comics truly lived up to its potential? In the digital age, comics seem to have yet take full advantage of its ability to exist in more than one form of media. Also, children’s choices for comics seem relatively lacking, with the majority of genres being action/adventure related (find reference here). If comics are so engaging and fun to read, why are there not many targeted at children? Why are comics for children not as nearly as diverse as picture books? Perhaps the majority believe that comics hold no educational value for young readers. That it is shallow in what is conveying and its artistry cannot compete with that of an illustrative children’s book. But as aforementioned from McCloud, comics require input from its reader, so that they are contributing their own imagination rather than just a passive looker. Children are at a stage where their imaginations run actively, and comics can accommodate that by providing them with rich, whimsical and even frightening worlds they can get lost in.  There is also no limitation for comics, whether if it is the subject matter, genre or media (footnote here). And there should be no limitations for who can read them either.

-          ----How do I link the genre of comic (the Uncanny) of my project to engaging younger readers?

-          ---- The jump from comics’ potential as multiple forms of media to children’s comics seem rather spontaneous, how can I fix this?
      
      Research Question(s) (21/03/16):
How can younger readers be furthered engaged in reading comics with the integration of interactive elements?

How can an interactive comic deepen the engagement of younger readers by providing them with thought-provoking themes/subject matter and allowing them to make their own decisions in order to shape the narrative?

Abstract (21/03/16):
As comics’ popularity continue to grow, it may be fitting to find new ways to explore its potential in the digital age. Comics, as described by Will Eisner is “sequential art”, a sequence of words and images to create meaning or a story (Eisner, 1985). Furthering this idea, Scott McCloud states that in order to form a coherent story with these sequences of images, the reader must be able to use closure--- the ability to view the parts but perceive the whole, to read comics. This can be seen as the most significant aspect of what makes comic reading so engaging. With this in mind, my project investigates how integrating interactive elements could further reader engagement. The objection is to create an interactive, adventure horror comic aimed primarily at children; and within this genre I will create a rich, whimsical world readers can get lost in. The narrative aspect of the comic will be interactive, providing the reader the ability to choose their own paths in the comic, thus provoking them to think consciously about decision-making and even forcing them to anticipate the consequences of those decisions they make. The implementation of the project will be structured in a systematic pipeline, following a workflow built upon solid planning. This is a project that will hopefully develop reading and thinking skills in children, as well as create an engaging, playful experience for them. The theories and methodologies of this practice will hopefully lay down paths for others to employ and build upon in the future.  


Here are just some random doodles I did on the train. And yes, the one on the far right is Lu.


No comments:

Post a Comment