Sunday 20 March 2016

Week 03 18/03/16 Friday

On Friday I was researching for visual style reference. I've found a few artists with artistic styles that are suitable for my project.

Chris Riddell - a British illustrator and writer. I love the use of black and white in his work and the intricate details that he masters. Noted works: "The Edge Chronicles" written by Paul Stewart and illustrated by Riddell. "Ottodine and the Yellow Cat" written and illustrated by Riddell. "The Pirate Diaries".

Gris Grimly - American illustrator who is drawn to the exciting and scary worlds of monsters and goblins. He had inspiration from the poems and writings ofof Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King. Noted works: "Gris Grimly's Wicked Nursery Rhymes"; "The Dangerous Alphabet" by Neil Gaiman; "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley.

Keith Thompson - I have always loved Thompson's intricate illustration from the works he did for Scott Westerfeld's steampunk novel "Leviathan" series to the grotesque individual works he did for himself. Thompson has always given me motivation and his work has been the stylistic reference for my projects in the past. This year I have decided to draw reference from his works again.

All these artists have illustrated for books aimed at young readers. They all have an interest in horror and the macabre, with the use of black and white drawings they create creepy but also whimsical worlds to draw the viewer in. And these are the artistic styles that I would to utilise in my project this year.

I have also written an essay plan for my critical review:





No comments:

Post a Comment