Friday 29 July 2016

Semester 2 Week 2 27-29/07/16 Wednesday-Friday

More work-in-progress updates for this documentation. I adjusted my timetable a bit, and reduced my work load from 3 pages/day to 2 pages/day. I am very slow at drawing these pages (around 2 hours or more each), so I figure it is a bit more realistic to produce 2 each day.

Work in progress of page 18. Should I elaborate on my process, I usually figure out the layouts first. I have my layout guide beside me all the time, but I make adjustments as I go along. The layout really needs to flow with the eye as it reads through these pages; so even though I have already planned my layouts beforehand, it is still open for improvements. When the layouts are done, I draw extremely rough sketches to indicate the action and dialogue in each panel. When this is done, I then go in and sketch out the smaller details; the facial features, environments, etc. Then, I use a very fine brush to create clean lines on top of the rough sketches (these are on a new layer in PS). Lastly, I fill in the speech bubble with dialogue. I believe I have mentioned before that I have hand-written every word in this comic, as this creates a more authentic feel.

In the typical me fashion, I made a mistake here on page 19. In the third panel where Nelly's dad points out his left hand, he is wearing a glove; but in the fifth panel he isn't. I spotted this after I did the lining.

Obviously I went back to correct this mistake. I was fortunate enough to spot this myself, and it also is something quite minor. But I need to keep everything consistent throughout the comic, and pay more attention to those smaller details.

Rough sketches for page 20.






No comments:

Post a Comment