Wednesday 4 May 2016

Week 08 04/05/16 Wednesday

Today I have begun writing about my methodology. I know what methodological frameworks I am going to employ, but I also need to justify my reasons for utilizing each framework. This assignment should not be as difficult as the previous one (literature review), as it does not require a lot of research, but demands my own evaluation on why and how am I applying these frameworks to my project.

I have attempted to formulate a plan for the research methodology:

Practice-Led
-Identify what it is (Practice-lead research is concerned in advancing knowledge about or within the practice, and can be standalone, meaning it does have to produce an artefact).
 -Why I am employing it (it will allow me to test out the various different forms to create an interactive comic narrative, and lead to an optimum creative product).
  -How am I employing it (I have done research on numerous ways readers interact with digital         comics. The term "interactive" is very broad, and can range from simple mouse clicking, to readers shaping the narratives themselves. My definition of interaction is more specific, and is concerned with engaging the reader, rather than just a feature that can be used. Practice-led research will require me to experiment with the different ways readers interact with the digital comic, and will hopefully give rise to new knowledge, or transformed knowledge on this topic).

[The same steps will be applied to the all the other discussions on methodology]

Action Research
-Action research is a cycle between work production, evaluation and reflection on that work, and making improvements by creating more work.
 -I am using this approach because similar to practice-led research, it will allow me to effectively and systematically work out solutions to certain problems through iterations. Though practice-led research can be understood to be included within action research, but action research is employed more specifically to remedy issues and impediments.
  -Like what I have done unconsciously in the past, I have utilized action research to bring forth and create vivid visualizations of my project. At this point where the project remains in an abstract stage, action research is a way to slowly aid me shape and realize my project. Through iterations of past works, I will be able to improve on practice, and overcome obstacles that may be presented in the journey of my project.

Active Documentation
-The documentation of process and progress.
 -I will use this framework because it will create a record of all my work, and thus assisting in creating the basis of an exegesis. Active documentation supports action research as it provides the necessary materials for me to reflect on in the future.
  -I have already made many documentations on my thoughts and progress in the form of this daily blog. I have both textual and visual documentations on my progress. Documentation is a continual process, and can be in any form I choose. In this case, I am typing thoughts that I deem vital to developing an exegesis. I also have a designated sketchbook that I use to illustrate any concept ideas I may have in mind.

Narratology
- The study of narrative structure and how humans perceive it.
 -As I am looking to develop a story for my project, it is obligatory that principles of narratology is understood.
  -A narrative has many distinct layers. I must be aware of these layers when constructing my own story, as each plays an important role within the narrative. A narrative includes a fabula, according to Bal, it is the series of events experienced by actors. Actors are given identities, transforming them into characters. For this project, I am attempting to create a very personal experience, one that is based around my life and the life of my family. David Carrier once wrote that comics are read like books, by one person, without anyone peering over their shoulder. Thus, the project necessitates a close encounter between the reader, characters and the events within the narrative. Narratology has taught me thus much, and to create a deeper connection between those elements, more knowledge into this field may be required.

Lastly, I would like to mention that by employing these methods, I have arrived at a mixed method approach. Different aspects of the project require different methodological frameworks. Though action research can also be applied to form a narrative, since reiteration and reflection will also help lead to improvements in the story. A living example of this will be my project from third year, when I hit a wall when writing my script for the story. Iterations and re-thinking was demanded of me to finally come to a solution to the problem, but it was a valuable lesson learned. Action research is therefore extremely appropriate for me to use, as it helps rectify issues in both the designing of the project, and the development of the story. With all this in mind, I can conclude that with all these frameworks combined, a mixed method approach if formed for my particular project.


No comments:

Post a Comment