Wednesday 11 May 2016

Week 09 10-11/05/16 Tuesday-Wednesday

Again I apologize for not posting anything yesterday. I watched a good movie with my brother and it was a good experience. The movie had my blood pumping and I had a dream about kicking ass. I like those kind of dreams.

Back on topic, I went back to read some of my past posts on my project. From a post a couple of months ago (more specifically Wednesday, 09/03/16), I wrote:

"I was struggling to come up with a theme for my project. At this point I did not have a particular direction I could take. I only knew I wanted to create a comic that was a bit creepy. It was after dinner when my sister, age 11, told me how she felt there were white eyes staring at her when she was in bed. I tried comforting her by explaining how our brains could frighten us when it cannot perceive anything in the darkness, and it imagines things in order to make up for that emptiness. From this I suddenly had the idea to have a theme about overcoming a certain fear. This was no fear in particular, as the feeling of creepiness came from the sensation of uncertainty, and therefore I felt like this theme would be perfect for my project." 

I'm glad I went back to read my documentation. This is evidence that documentation is helpful; as I was reminded again why I wish to use my sister's experience as the basis of the narrative of my interactive comic; as well as the genre of the story to take place. I also have established quite early on in the year that my objective is to produce an interactive comic that is read on a handheld device. I have not made this specification yet in my updated abstract, because I still hope to experiment with web-based comics, and then conclude to why I believe handheld devices are more beneficial. 

Aside from reflecting upon past thoughts, I have continued to write my methodology. I have related my project to narrative inquiry--- the study of experience understood through storytelling. For this project, I am studying my sister's experience and converting it into an interactive comic narrative, which will in turn allow others to experience it through this medium, and that they may become informed and educated of another's life. This then pertains to the concept that narratives stories are ways for the transaction of knowledge, supporting my idea of an educational experience through reading my comic. I attempt to create a personally meaningful story line, so that when readers experience the comic, they will feel a close connection between the protagonist and themselves. For this reason, it makes it appropriate for me to choose someone who is in the range of the target demographic, and I have a certain level of knowledge about. Such a person will be my sister. I am planning to base my protagonist's design on her, and the world in which the character inhabits will also bear certain resemblance of our home. The twist will be that there is a hidden world in one of the greenhouses. And the protagonist goes on a self-discovery journey through the greenhouse. I have also thought of a title for the comic: "Through the Rose Bushes". It is important to note that the narrative will evoke emotions in the readers, emotions that my sister may have felt in her life. This may prove rather difficult, as I must be able to understand in-depth her emotions, and then simulate that in a comic.  

Back to the actual form/vessel that my interactive comic will take, after a fair amount of consideration, it may be necessary for to specify that I am going to make it for handheld devices. The trouble here is, I have not mentioned anything regarding portable devices in my literature review. To go back and add this topic would be tedious and troublesome; I also risk going over the world limit (I spent a lot of time trimming it down). but I hope it is not too late to address this in the methodology. I know this blog is all over the place, but I am only recording whatever comes to mind. And my thoughts tend to drift from place to place. 

I have made more sketches for my project, but I have not scanned them yet. So bear with me, and I will post more visual aid to support my arguments. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment